Pages

Monday, October 10, 2011

Spoon Rack Redo with Tutorial, plus more neat ideas!


I just finished redoing my spoon rack that I got at a thrift store for $1.00.  It started out the ugly old wood that was popular when spoon racks were popular in the 70's.  I did a little search on google & found some interesting pictures of spoon racks, some redone for uses other than holding spoons.  I thought I'd share some with you after a quick tutorial on how I redid mine to use...for holding spoons, that is!
The backside view of the before wood.  I chose to paint with spray paint (Krylon paint with primer) the surface of the spoon rack.  Do this in a well~ventilated area & use 2 coats, drying between.
Trace around the spoon rack upside down onto scrapbooking paper of choice (thicker cardstock is easier to work with), with back side of paper facing up.  Allow for a little extra because you will trim more later.
 
Trim as needed to fit around spoon holders and tack down with painters tape.


Still needs some trimming after placing for fit.


Rub around edges to create a mark to go by for trimming.

Trim the excess at the pressed edges with scissors.  Do another fit before the next step and trim as needed.


Now use Mod Podge to decoupage down paper.  Place on surface of wood & underside of paper, then press down firmly to get out all air bubbles.  Add coat of MP to top of paper.  Let dry & rub surface with your hand to flatten any raised areas.  I did have a couple that flattened immediately, but should you have some that don't, prick with a pin and then flatten.  Then add a 2nd coat of MP.

I didn't care for the white edge around the perimeter of the rack, so I painted it with acrylic Ceramcoat paint in Burgundy with a flat brush #12 to match my paper.  This took 3 coats, drying between each coat.  Then I added Teal paint by Ceramcoat with a #6 Flat brush on the top of the raised surfaces that the spoons slide through.  I watered down the Teal and using the same #6 brush, put paint around the edge of the paper on the entire rack, working in sections, and rubbing off with a dry cloth for a see through appearance to accent the edges.  I nailed on a hanger on the center back, 1 - 2 inches from the top, because I didn't want to use the hole originally on the top. I wanted a more finished look when hanging.  That is preference and depends on what your spoon rack has.  I could have used a pretty ribbon to hang from through the hole, but chose not to.

The finished rack with spoons!
I have more spoons, but I only wanted to use the ones that were from places I'd been or special to me.  So now, after probably more than 20 years, I will enjoy my spoon collection again.  This time with a contemporary twist!  I had seen, somewhere online, a very cute shabby chic room done that had a white spoon rack on the wall.  That is when I decided that I could bring my spoons out of the paper bag they were in!! 

Here are some pics of spoon racks I found on Google.  I was quite surprised at the variety.
http://www.headant.com/repurposed-spoon-rack/    "Lets Go on a Picnic" blog


http://www.rosecottagechic.com/catalog/item/3857604/8571920.htm
http://5minutesjustforme.blogspot.com/2010/02/i-can-finally-display-my-spoons.html
http://www.cherrylanegifts.com/Best%20Sellers.htm

Makes you want to find your own spoon rack and get creative with your own ideas, doesn't it?  Have a wonderful week!  Join me at these Linky Parties! Their blog buttons are on my sidebar.
Debbiedoos Newbie Party
Savvy Southern Style's Wow Us Wednesdays
Vintage Gwen's Linky Party
Potpourri Fridays 2805
At the Picket Fence's Inspiration Friday
A Diamond in the Stuff Linky Party
Tuesday's Treasures~My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia














Blessings,
Cindy

9 comments:

Sonya Badgley said...

Hi Cindy!
Wow! You did a great job! It looks soooo much better with the paper over it! It really makes the spoons stand out more now.
Thanks for sharing with us!
Blessings to you,
Sonya

Anonymous said...

Oh my, this is gorgeous, Cindy. I love it. Thank you for the birthday wishes. Finding your way through Leslie's blog...love it. She's a special friend. Wonder and newfound joy...I gladly receive them. ;)

Much love!

Cindy Adkins said...

Hi Cindy,
This is gorgeous and I love the trim on it too...and it looks so hard to do!! You did an incredible job.

Thank you for your sweet note--it was so nice to hear from you and thank you for your words of wisdom.
Love,
Cindy

Cindy @ Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home said...

Such a GREAT idea Cindy! My daughter has a spoon collection and this really makes the spoons pop!
Following you too!
Blessings,
Cindy

Door Hangers said...

Hi Nice posting, I agree This design is really good. You got good collection keep it up. I pass this blog to my friends

Honey at 2805 said...

This is a lovely idea and your spoon rack turned out so pretty!
You have a nice spoon collection and of course we know some are hiding in place we cannot see.

Thank you for linking to Potpourri Friday! You help to make it a special day!

mo said...

Hi Cindy,

What an awsome job you did. I love how you showed us how.

It is just beautiful. There is nothing that can replace a one of a kind art piece made with love.

*hugs*

mo

Whit said...

what an amazing makeover. Thank you so much sharing and for linking up to our party Show and Share this week! Come on back this Wednesday to link up your current projects.

A mommy's life...with a touch of YELLOW
tyandwhitneyulrich.blogspot.com

Faye Lee said...

Hello, cindy
I am Faye Lee (Venus Blues Hideaway)--thanks so much for linking my website to your blog. Your blog is great--come by and visit mine. My blog address is venusblueshideaway.com. I am going to be a follower of yours. Wanna follow me? And, my prayers are sent to your husband for an uneventful and safe surgery and a quick recovery. My best wishes are sent your way.